Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
2007
356 pages
Synopsis from Wikipedia
Loving Frank is an American novel by Nancy Horan published in 2007. It tells the story of Mamah Borthwick and her illicit love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright amidst the public shame they experienced in early twentieth century America.
A talented writer and novelist, Nancy Horan spins an intricate web of themes in her novel. One of the main themes is that of guilt and judgment of others and society in general. Another is the role of the artist in society. The novel also explores the development of the feminist movement in the United States and Europe. We are told that in America, the focus is on the woman’s right to vote and equal pay whereas the European woman is more concerned about her right to live her life free from the ties of marriage. Mamah’s and Wright’s travels in Europe are described as a form of escape from the constraints experienced at home. They soon realize, however, that the fantasy is short lived and they are inevitably called back to face reality. It is the more conformist and more guilt ridden Mamah who stands her ground and resists the urge to return to her family obligations. She struggles between the ties to her family and her invisible bond to Wright. She chooses the latter but inevitably realizes that her passion for Wright often brings her to abandon her own intellectual aspirations. Even Wright, the self proclaimed free spirit, succumbs to some of society’s pressures in the end.
Back of the Book
"I have been standing on the side of life, watching it float by. I want to swim in the river. I want to feel the current." So writes Mamah Borthwick Cheney in her diary as she struggles to justify her clandestine love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright. Four years earlier, in 1903, Mamah and her husband, Edwin, had commissioned the renowned architect to design a new home for them. During the construction of the house, a powerful attraction developed between Mamah and Frank, and in time the lovers, each married with children, embarked on a course that would shock Chicago society and forever change their lives.
Rating 3 / 5 stars
Review from My Goodreads
The book started out great, and I was pretty hooked with the story. However right in the middle of the novel, it started to drag as the characters just seemed to be going with the flow, and not really developing. It picked up again right at the very end, and I was completely shocked with the ending. I really didn't like the main character, Mamah. She seemed selfish, arrogant and irresponsible. I really felt bad for her kids and Edwin throughout the entire story. Frank was ok - he annoyed me at the beginning, but by the end I really felt bad for him. Overall the story was good, and the writing style was nice for the most part (sometimes it got too detailed with the setting, but that's my personal preference).

No comments:
Post a Comment